Locations and general description
VIESGO generation and distribution is a Spanish DSO placed in Santander, Spain. Currently VIESGO generates 1.400 MW of energy in the Iberian Peninsula, being 487.4 MW coming from renewable sources. Additionally, VIESGO counts with 31,300 km of electrical grid in the north of Spain. VIESGO provides services to more than 695,000 consumers, and counts with smart meters at house level for fraud control and consumption monitoring. The contribution of renewables is RES: 39% MV (5.2% Hydro, 94.8% wind) MV; fossil: 61% coal-fire thermal plants.
There is evidence of higher levels of losses in VIESGO’s highest voltage networks (132 kV) where there is a greater presence of distributed generation
Uncontrollable assets and substations
INNOVATIONS AND SOLUTIONS
- Development of operation and control algorithms
- Transformer: control algorithms for distribution transformers with automatic tap changer, optimizing their operation for the level of load and generation existing in the grid
- SS hardware development
- Integration of the different algorithms and the transformer in the developed hardware
- Establishment of the communication protocols both with the cloud and the IEDs (Energy box)
- Test and validation of the solution
- Demonstration at network level following AGILE methodology.
- Development of control and forecasting algorithms
- Integration of these algorithms in the common platform
- Establishment of the internal and external communication protocols
- Demonstration of the full system in VIESGO´s network
- Grid and renewable generators modelling in the context of distribution networks. RTDS models will be developed during this task. Common models should be considered (if possible) within the entire project to integrate all solutions in the same benchmark
- “Hardware in the loop” protection tests for the different protection functions commonly used in Distribution Systems
- Analysis of results and new algorithm development designed for protection of distribution systems (based on the specific critical points found in the analysis performed)
- Proof of concepts with the development of a prototype and implementation of the result. Field tests would increase the TRL of the solution and would be interesting as an output of the project.